KITCHENER, ON – (May 6, 2010) – Christie, a global visual technologies company, took home the Green AV Award at the inaugural 2010 InfoComm 100 conference, April 30 – May 1 in Dulles, Virginia. Newly created by InfoComm International, the leading professional audiovisual trade association, the Green AV Award recognizes organizations for their commitment to social responsibility, sustainability and the environment. Host to over 100 top AV industry executives spanning the entire value chain worldwide from manufacturing and systems integration, to architects and general contractors, the conference addressed changes in the AV industry. The award was presented April 30.
“Sustainability practices are important for the future of the AV industry,” said Randal A. Lemke, Ph.D., Executive Director and CEO, InfoComm International. “InfoComm is pleased to issue these first Green AV Awards to those who are paving the way for a greener and stronger audiovisual industry. Christie is a great example of an organization whose commitment to the environment extends to all areas of their company.”
Among the environmental initiatives Christie has undertaken include:
- Successfully registering two manufacturing plants to the internationally recognized environmental standard, ISO 14001
- Leading the way with products that are among the highest lumen per watt output efficiency for 3‐chip DLP® projectors
- Introducing energy-efficient stand-by modes for new projector models, and developing next generation solid state LED illumination technology that is more environmentally friendly
- Achieving an impressive 82 percent waste diversion rate at the Canadian manufacturing facility through effective management of recycle streams including electronic waste and organics (food waste)
- Reducing electrical consumption by 13 percent per employee within the first year through a “Power Down” energy conservation program
- Reducing natural gas usage by 41 percent
- Carpooling programs and employee awareness campaigns such as “Lunch n’ Learn” sessions to encourage employees to adopt environmentally responsible practices at home
“Christie is very proud to have created a culture of green thinking that extends company‐wide. We believe the advancements we have made, and to continue to make, are a testament to having motivated employees who want to work towards creating a more sustainable society,” said Gerry Remers, President and COO, Christie Digital Systems Canada, Inc. “It’s an honour to be recognized by InfoComm International and among our peers for our green initiatives – we know that we have work ahead of us and we’re committed to continual improvement.”
Other award winners in the Green AV Award category include AVW-TELAV Audio Visual Solutions and Waveguide Consulting Inc.
Christie, is a global visual technologies company and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ushio, Inc., Japan, (JP:6925). Consistently setting the standards by being the first to market some of the world’s most advanced projectors and complete system displays, Christie is recognized as one of the most innovative visual technology companies in the world. From retail displays to Hollywood, mission critical command centers to classrooms and training simulators, Christie display solutions and projectors capture the attention of audiences around the world with dynamic and stunning images.
For more information contact:
Allison Illsley, Christie
Dorina Belu, Christie
Christie® is a registered trademark of Christie Digital Systems USA, Inc.
DLP® is a registered trademark of Texas Instruments.